Friday, December 11, 2009

How to Alienate a Gringo

I'm following Heather's and Abeja's lead on how to alienate a gringo. Since we offend easily, this could be an endless list but I'm keeping it short and Chile-specific:

1. Say you don't understand their Spanish
This is certainly true sometimes, but come on, you reallllly can't understand that she just said hola? I can always call the moment a cashier or taxi driver is going to quadruple the speed at which he speaks (yes, this is Chileno-specific) and the number of chilenismos he uses. Lots of Chilenos LOVE when Gringos don't understand them and Gringos, of course, hate it.

2. Ask, "are you all really as cold/unfriendly as you seem in movies"?

This question itself doesn't bother me at all, it's just the number of times I've had to answer it.


3. Cut in line

short Chilena with her empty shoulder bag pushes in front of you in line to cargar her Bip--nuff said

4. Give your children bebida when they say they´re thirsty

This one's obvious, but it gets to me more and more as I see the children drinking coke getting younger and younger (think a baby who can't walk yet drinking it from his/her bottle)

5. Make Jote(wine + coke = gross) out of the nice bottle of wine they brought for you

i may have to continue this one but that's all I've got for now...

3 comments:

Annje said...

good ones!

I am horrified when they give kids soda. When my daughter was not even one we went down to visit and they tried to give her sprite, I refused and had a little fit (not really--but they learned I was serious) and now they think I am even more of a freak. I still don't let her drink soda and she is 4.

and yes, cutting in line

and the cold thing--not so much about the movies, but for "kicking kids out" when they are 18. That might be a way to alienate Chileans--tell them you can't wait until your kids move out.

Abby said...

Oh my. I was on the metro the other day and this woman whips out a can of coke, opens it up, pours it into a baby bottle and hands it to her (very chubby) baby. I'm talking 9 month old baby, can't walk yet, sitting in a baby carriage, BABY. Then, just to top everything off, she hands it a POTATO CHIP. My god.

DerringDo said...

How about being asked, "where is your gun?" (because, of course, all Americans walk around concealing a weapon!)and then "shooting" you by pointing their index fingers at you and saying, "bang! bang!"

That has happened to me in so many countries and it's annoying every time!