Monday, March 8, 2010

Fuerza Chile

I haven't posted since before the earthquake and am just getting the inspiration to write about it.

I was in my apartment, about to get into bed when the earthquake hit. Luckily, I was with Italo and we both reacted quickly and ran to the doorframe. It was the scariest experience of my life and at one point, I thought we were going to die because I mistook the sound the buildings made moving for crashing down.

Having said that, I am so lucky. Even though it was a horrible experience for me, we didn't so much as lose a glass or plate. So many people here lost their houses and loved ones and I feel fortunate to say that my loved ones are OK.

I think everyone in Chile was in a grieving state last week because we all went to work, but didn't really work and we all hung out, but only talked about the earthquake. We've also had plenty of tremors to remind us that it's not over yet.

I have also been inundated with friends and family contacting me because they want to help in any way possible. Any way, that is, that does not involve donating money to the big organizations. So, it has become my job to find other ways to use the money my amazing family and friends have so generously donated to help Chile.

Last week, we found plenty of wonderful people taking supplies to their families and friends down south and now, Italo and I are getting money together to travel down south once we can be of more help.

My question is what is everyone else planning on doing? From reading posts on facebook, it's clear that all of my gringa/o and chilean friends alike helping and I would like to put together a list of all the ways people can contribute to write a letter to my local newspaper in the U.S. I am aware of all of the big organizations, but am not interested in involving them so anything small-scale would be better. Thanks in advance!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you consider this a "big organization", but my suggestion is Un Techo para Chile. Both because their specialty is on providing emergency houses, and because of their values (empowerment, not just charity) and their focus on youth (it was founded by university students and most of their volunteers and even high-up executives are young). They're big enough that they have experience responding to disaster situations, but small enough that the vast majority of donations (at least 90%) go to direct aid, not institutional costs. Maybe you can tell I've worked with them before, but I feel very strongly that they're a great organization and really need the support right now. www.untechoparachile.org. Their partner organization, Un Techo para Mi Pais, has more information in English: www.untechoparamipais.org/english

Anonymous said...

Glad you are well. Good idea to write for a local paper. I have done the same. I am usually no big fan of the HUGE organisations but in this case it was the best way for me.

I have given to "a big organisation"

two reasons
a) the cruz roja seems to be well coordinated for such an emergency situation.
b) my wifes employer doubled the donation because it was for a recognized and audited charity.

Matt from Colchagua is going to start orgainising housing for villages in some of the hard hit villages in the Colchagua valley: http://www.colchaguino.com/2010/03/earthquake-in-santa-cruz-chile-ways-to.html

And also the AllChile.net forum is doing an amazing job flying doctors and aid to remote locations:
http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/topic4006.html