Monday, July 19, 2010

All Dried Up

This winter is incredibly dry. Most winters in Santiago are dry, but this one is taking its toll on my body. To start with the ugly, it gives me dandruff. Generally I buy shampoo for oily hair, but that's all changed this winter. Even my face flakes if I don't moisturize it 3 times a day. EW, I know, but I buy special moisturizer that I've never found here so this winter is costing me dolla dolla bills.

Second comes the gross. I got my first nosebleed in about uhhhhh 15 years yesterday. I was talking on gchat with my sister and thinking, wow one of my nostrils is bigger than the other and then I realized it wasn't bigger, it was just dripping blood and looked bigger in my computer's camera. My dad's side of the family is known for nosebleeds in winter time, but it's never happened to me. Santiago winter has changed that. I am now my father's daughter. I can feel the sting each time I breathe deeply through my nose.

Third comes the OLD. My hands are absolutely, positively 40 years older than I am. They are so wrinkly I can't look at them without freaking myself out. If anyone's seen the movie The Others, remember when you think you'll find a little girl playing under a veil, but rather you see an old lady's hand sticks out from underneath it?? Sorry if I ruined that surprise but my face is the little girl and my hands are the old, wrinkly lady. I'm resorting to sleeping with Vasoline smeared hands in cotton gloves.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think I miss (SOME OF) the humidity of Northern Virginia. At least my hair, skin and nose are normal there. Now, I have to worry about things I thought I'd get to put off for almost another 10 years. Thanks, Chile, thanks.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I hear you on the hands! The last time they looked this rickety I was in Colorado ... since then I've never felt so dry. Ugh.

Isabel said...

i found this incredible homemade lotion in subcentro at Escuela Militar that has done wonders for my hands since I posted this. The women sells all of her products at Los Dominicos and I think it's called La Casa de Sofia or something like that. My hands look so much younger, almost the age they should look now!

Isabel said...

i found this incredible homemade lotion in subcentro at Escuela Militar that has done wonders for my hands since I posted this. The women sells all of her products at Los Dominicos and I think it's called La Casa de Sofia or something like that. My hands look so much younger, almost the age they should look now!