Thursday, January 8, 2009

Big sigh of relief/What the f*ck?!

This past Monday I went into work to pick up my paycheck and get my attendance book for the one class I had that didn't end in December. To my surprise, SOMEONE there told me that my students had asked to stay with the teacher who subbed for me because there weren't many classes left and they didn't want to switch around anymore. I wasn't sure how to react because that didn't make sense considering I've been with these students for 4 months so I asked, "en serio?!?" and the response I got was, "en serio!". I was assured that it had nothing to do with my teaching, just convenience for them, but I found that hard to believe. I asked a few more questions because I wasn't satisfied, but I got to the point where my only options were to cry because my students didn't like me that much after all or, just leave and deal with it like a big girl. I chose to walk out and deal with it, but it was still really bugging me today. These students and I had such a fun time in class. They're the same ones who invited me to their company's big anniversary party. I brought stuff back from the U.S. specifically for them and we had planned to get together this weekend. So naturally, when I thought about it more it seemed really mean of them or highly unlikely that SOMEONE was telling the truth. Well, just a few minutes ago the mystery solved itself. I got an email from one of my students saying how upset they are with the new teacher and that they're trying to get me back because they don't know what happened. Ok, so 1. YAYYYY! They like me! They really like me!! and 2. Why the fuck did the institute take that class away from me and then lie about it???!!!! I am very relieved three people I really like don't hate me, but I am also pissed at SOMEONE from work. I am waiting to calm down so I can ask about it again without getting angry, but I am determined to get this class back!

6 comments:

Mamacita Chilena said...

I have heard stories like this on multiple gringas blogs. My only guess is maybe they found someone to do the work for cheaper???

I'm glad they like you though :) Makes me wonder how many of these other gringas who have been told they have to switch off of a class for some reason or another have actually been getting the truth behind it.

Amanda said...

That stinks! All I can say is that when I was working at the English Connection I subbed for a lot of people and never stole their classes. However at the Norteamericano I got put into classes where the teacher was "leaving"... it makes me wonder if they are just too lazy to switch around the info...

Crossing Borders said...

I'm glad that worked out for you!

Isabel said...

yeah, i was thinking about that, Kyle, and what Amanda said, but now my best guess is that a teacher who's been there much longer wanted more hours/money and got what they wanted because my students said their new teacher is an older chilean when they've always requested native English speakers. The good thing is that my students are pissed and they're calling the institute as i type since i don't think my doing it would help much. I'm just hoping that my institute understands customer service enough to give the paying clients what they want!

Sara said...

That happened to me at one of the institutes I worked for most often. I had had some students since I started teaching in June and then *poof* they went to other teacher. "Oh! They wanted a different accent!" My boss assured me. It was nothing with the fact that I would be leaving in December. NO!
I didn't buy it, and needless to say I had a very bad attitude about returning to work there.

Sara said...

Oh! Forgot to add the accent they were switching for was a Canadian accent. Big difference, Canadian and Minnesota accent. Big difference there. I secretly think THAT student had a thing for foreign women and when he realized he couldn't date me he moved on to newer, fresher, Canadian prey.