Sunday, March 29, 2009

very brief update

I haven't written anything in a long time, but with good reason because I've been ridiculously busy. Here's a quick replay of my week:

-decided we had to move
-worked
-found a great place that was a little too expensive
-worked
-got the owners down 30.000 pesos-->planned to sign contract
-worked
-ended up throwing up all day Thursday from something I ate so we didin't do anything about moving and I did nothing about working.
-signed the new apartment contract
-broke the news to our landlady who took it HORRIBLY (I rescind my recommendation of her and our soon-to-be vacant apartment to my two fellow bloggers)
-packed up our entire apartment and arranged to move for almost no cost
-ran into 10,000,000 problems with our building, landlady, and the law about moving our furniture across town
-called my contract lawyer student hysterical over everything who assured me it would be OK by Monday
-had to spend all of my chanchito I had saved for my mom's visit which left me with less than 5.000 clp to my name until payday
-maybe/sort of/kind of have everything straightened out for getting our salvoconducto (license to move our furniture from one building to another), evil landlady meeting, work, and another almost as good deal on moving.
-OH, on top of it all, Italo has to defend his thesis Tuesday morning so he's super stressed about all of this plus his thesis/he hasn't been much help in the packing process ;)

To say the very least, I'll be THRILLED when this is all over. It will be nice to finally sleep next weekend. I'll expand a little more on the move and whatnot, but for now my pillow and a borrowed copy of Anthony Bourdain's book (thanks, Heather!) await me.

7 comments:

Mamacita Chilena said...

Ok, is it just my imagination or are ALL landlords in all of Chile evil? I have had problems, Tyffanie has had problems...and now you too! I think that they just don't want to let an actual paying tenant go, is the problem.

UGH. So sorry you are dealing with all this.

Clare said...

Yikes. Sorry about the move. I know they can be hellish.

Chilemily said...

IIISssh!! That sounds awful. Well I am definitely with you on the things calming down soon!! I bought some yummy wine and it has your name on it, so hopefully we'll see eachother...miss you!!

Abby said...

So are you moving today? I talked to my lawyer friend Rony yesterday and he seemed to think getting the salvoconducto or whatever it's called wasn't that hard...so I hope you got everything worked out!!

I'll see you later hopefully.

Caroline said...

how come i don't know any of this? we need an online date, but later this week b/c i have a stupid test tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

please visit us ....www.expatsinchile.com

KM said...

bummer about the move. agree with mamacita about all landlords being assholes BUT i think that's pretty much universal- ESPECIALLY in a market like this where they're aware it's going to be hard for them to re-rent your digs. too bad for them. glad you got out & didn't bow to the bullying.