Thursday, April 9, 2009

Bad Belmont Lights

So, I´ve been smoking a little bit for the past few weeks and I need to stop. It started with all of the stress of moving and then didn´t stop there.

I´ve never been a heavy smoker, but I smoked for almost a year in high school and quit. Then, I switched to stress and social smoking in college. I´d sit with one of my roommates and smoke one cigarette after another over coffee during exam time. I´d also always smoke a cigarette or two or three or four or five on a night out with friends.

Then, I was never worried about it because I was stupid. But also because it would often be after a long day of hiking or snowboarding or doing something active and it was always isolated to a few days out of the month. I never felt the effects of it. Now, I´m living in smog city and not getting the amount of exercise I used to and it makes me feel disgusting.

Simple solution? STOP SMOKING!!!

But it´s not quite that simple for me because I´m weak under peer pressure. We´re going to my suegra´s house tonight where smoking never hurt anyone and going to the gym doesn´t exist. If there´s alcohol involved in our San Jueves (Saint Thursday--their name for a night of drinking, cards, and smoking) that means double the nicotine inhaled and double the number of times I´ll have to say no because boy are they all generous with their smokes. It´s a constant test of my will power. At least my mom will be here on Tuesday which will give me the perfect excuse to stop again because everyone except Italo pretends they don´t smoke when my mom´s here so they´ll be inhaling cigarettes when she´s not around which means I most likely won´t be around either.

OK, now why am I posting this? Because I´m going to report back here after my weekend and if I have an audience, I think my results will be better. So, I promise to be honest and if I smoke, please feel free to chew me out. Once I´m over this few day hump, I´ll be fine.

9 comments:

Shannon. said...

I totally need to quit too!!
I am really hoping that when we go to the US it will be easier to quit since I will have so much fun stuff to be doing, and cigarettes will be more expensive and not worth it when we are there. I hope Rodrigo will quit with me. It's always easier to quit if you are quitting with someone else.

Amanda said...

DON'T SMOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REALLY. Don't. Quit while you can!

I used to be a social smoker, but I just think it's something that it's better to just quit while you're ahead. I relate it a lot to pulling out hair and I think once you hit the deep end it's a lot harder to get back into shallower waters.

Abby said...

My dad's good friend from college just died from lung cancer. He was 52 and smoked a pack a day up until the day he died.

Sorry to be dramatic, but maybe it will help?

Emily said...

Ok, it's official...the internet is holding you accountable. No more smoking!

Can you tell everyone you're trying to stop smoking and ask them to stop offering you cigarettes? That seems like it might be one good way to avoid temptation. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Let me (slash us) know how this goes for you! I'm constantly dealing with the "i need to quit smoking" thing. I have managed to at least cut back a couple of times, but life stresses always seem to sneak up on me and then im back to the cancer stick. :-(

Shannon, I think you're right... quitting with someone is a lot easier. and more importantly, trying to quit when your S.O. still smokes.... oh man, so difficult!

Chilemily said...

EEEEEWWWWW!!! Bad teeth, bad smell, risk of lung cancer. emphysema, money...I think the negatives are endless!!

Maybe you need to surround yourself with good people that DON'T smoke :)

Renée said...

Good luck! I've been trying to quit since the new year began and it's not easy here.

KM said...

I think it's easier if you are around fewer smokers...my husband's 2 best friends (both had been chain smokers) decided to quit and so, as a new year's resolution, my hubby quit as well and so far so good. he's also joined the gym. i think that if you are going to quit smoking 100%, which can be a big lifestyle change, you have to change other things as well. my hubby's on a health kick. and i think it's great. i am helping him and he's helping me stay motivated going to the gym. not to mention that ever since he quit smoking i almost NEVER socially smoke, especially not in front of him...Oh and I agree with Emily - start TELLING PEOPLE that you're trying ot quikc and that it's really hard for you so please don't offer...GOOD LUCK!

Sara said...

I just read your post and I think smoking is a slippery slope. I have so many friends that started as social smokers and now are full blown addicts.

I wouldn't know much about quitting because I've never smoked, but I agree with Amanda. Quit while you can.

Plus, think of how much it costs (even at 1000 pesos a box it adds up). That's probably the biggest reason I never started, becuase of the taste and the cost.

Good luck!