Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Show me the [Meyer] lemons

Saying that I love to cook is an understatement. When a student or two cancels a class and I have some extra time, I browse my favorite food blogs, make a list, run to la Vega to get ingredients, then come home and put on my favorite music and start cooking--this is when I'm happiest.

I've always fought female stereotypes and anyone who knows me knows that in my relationship, Italo and I tend to swap positions and I do a lot of the "husband" things and he does a lot of the "wife" things. With that said, if I could stay at home and cook all day for my friends and family I would live a wonderful life. Ask me to clean the place afterwards and I'm not so thrilled.

Now, this obsession with cooking and food combined with my living in Chile often poses problems because it's simply too expensive or downright impossible to buy certain ingredients. I like to cook according to the seasons so I get the best deal which makes it hard to run out and cook whatever's all the rage among the U.S. foodies. This makes it almost unbearable to read posts and see pictures of certain things.

Today and for the past several months it has been Meyer lemons. I am absolutely DYING to try these things. People are writing about them like they're the cat's pajamas and I want one! I want one so badly. I want to make ginger lemonade, and these unbelievable sounding puddings and I just want to bite into one to see what the fuss is all about.

Meyer lemons are supposed to taste like a mix between a lemon and a mandarin or sweet orange. Some people eat them like apples which gets me really excited because I have always loved eating the insides of orange and lemon peels. This is what they look like and they are taunting me everyday:



If anyone finds them in the Santiago area (I WILL travel for them), PLEASE let me know and I will invite you over for whatever I make with them if they are all they're cracked up to be (if you're not a creeper, that is).

3 comments:

Chilemily said...

You cook, I'll bring the wine...TWO bottles that is. Winning combination, right?

Allison Azersky said...

Wow.... we are so alike. Nothing makes me happier than when a student cancels a class and I can put on my (gasp! gender stereotype!) frilly apron and (gasp!) bake a cake or roll out some pastry while listening to music or NPR online.

I'm 97% sure that you won't find meyer lemons. I'm sorry. Just try to keep your focus on the fact that you can buy avocados, peaches, and tomatoes at a tiny fraction of the price that all those foodies in the US are shelling out.

Isabel said...

haha, OK I guess I was a little dramatic with the stereotype thing :) but Allison I totally agree with you. In fact, I just turned down a Tuesday afternoon student so that I have time to cook. Today, it's veggie chili. And you're right, I can't really complain because we have the cheapest, most delicious produce I've ever seen...

Em, you KNOW i'm always up for that!