Thursday, October 16, 2008

"I've had plenty of Joe jobs. Nothing I'd call a career. Let me put it this way: I have an extensive collection of name tags and hairnets"

Today started out as a busy and early day. I had several classes to go to and lots of catching up to do now that I'm back in Chile.  I got a great start and happily walked to work to get my materials from the substitute who was supposed to drop them off for me.  So, I got to institute #2 today only to find out that all classes were cancelled (i.e. I'm not getting paid today) because of día del profesor.  HAH!

I'm sorry, but I find that ironic or maybe just really crappy luck.  Yay, let's celebrate teachers.  Yeah.  Great!  But, I'm not a teacher.  Or at least, not a salary-paid one.  So, if you're going to celebrate me, pay me double or at least give me double the hours to work.  But please, PLEASE don't cancel my classes and tell me happy day. 
 
But, I'm actually not as upset as I know I should be about not getting paid.  Why?  Because I love doing nothing in my apartment and I found the best source for it: Movies.  Free movies.  Lots of movies.  Legal movies.  You can basically stream any movie you can think of and it's pretty quick.


So, for all of you English teachers out there who frequently go from a very busy day to a practically free one because of your classes being cancelled, be a bum like me and start brushing up on your best movie quotes.

I'm starting Wayne's World right now...


3 comments:

Jessica said...

yay you´re back! i can´t wait to see pictures and everything. hopefully i´ll see you on monday!

Amanda said...

Hi Isabel,

Thanks for your comment! That's a total coincidence. I'm not in the LAS program (although I had a minor in that in undergrad)... I'm actually getting my M.A. in Hispanic Lit. But some LAS people were in my classes (and have all since dropped, don't really blame them!... haha).
Where did you get your undergrad? I'm asking that first before I express an opinion on UT in general because I realize that if you're coming from another huge school it probably won't be that hard of a transition. UT has a great Latin American library Collection, anyway! Austn is a really fun place to live. Much much smaller than Santiago. O. was commenting on that yesterday. He called it a "little town." Haha. The only downside about Austin is my husband, being an industrial eng. from chile hasn't really gotten much consideration in jobs. But if your boyfriend has a computer degree... by chance... he'd be set. It's very much a tech job place... and not much else.
Ask me any questions you might have, I'd be glad to answer them!

Sara said...

I have decided that these institutes are an unreliable source or crappy income and stress. So not what I need, but a necessary evil at the moment. Hey, I didn't even know there was a dia del profesor. Whatever...

How about that coffee?