Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Elections from a Chilean Perspective

I just got back from an English class with some of my favorite students. This is a great class because my students are employees of a certain Seattle-based specialty coffee store so I get all of the free coffee and tea beverages I want while I teach. I also get paid double since I have to schlep up to Las Condes and eat some of the best salads there are in Santiago to teach it (notice my sarcasm since I LOVE any excuse to go get a yummy salad for lunch). But the best thing about my students is that they are fun, intelligent, and love speaking English.

Today, was so great because we didn't even crack open our textbook since everyone was so excited about the U.S. elections. They were really interested in how I was feeling, in what it's like in the U.S. today, in how my parents and sister and everyone else I know living in the U.S. are feeling today, and in what all the Expats were going to do tonight to celebrate (or grieve) when the results come in. They also talked about how terribly upset they would be if Obama is not elected. It was so interesting to hear how much faith they have in Obama as a world leader. Now, neither my students or I are under the impression that Obama is any sort of savior. I really believe that big change takes a very long time and is extremely difficult within any government, but I (and they) also believe that voting for Barack Obama over John McCain is the right choice*. They are excited about the same things I am: what this would do to improve the U.S.'s image all over the world and its international relations, what this could mean for Black men and women everywhere, and what would happen in the U.S. once its president is not totally and completely worthless.

Now, I would consider these particular students more informed on world issues than most Chileans I know, but all of my students (the dummies and the smarty pants) have been talking about the elections. They've watched the SNL clips, seen the Sara Silverman Obama endorsement, and laughed at my "Sarah Palin is a retard" comments. My point is that it seems that the whole world, or all of Chile at least, is more interested in this election than elections in the past and it's because of Obama (and that Obama also means the end of Bush). I also have not met one Chilean rooting for McCain (but was unpleasantly surprised to find out through facebook that I know many more McCain/Palin supporters than I thought).

So, during my next class on Thursday, my students and I are either going to celebrate together or cry together.

Tonight, I'm going to Basic Bar (when do I not go there?) with some other lovely Chile-Gringas (Sara, Jessica, and Shannon) as well as a few Chileno spouses to watch the election coverage. Anyone else who reads this, come on out if you can! Here's hoping for happy results!


*My dream democratic ticket would be Hillary Clinton and Bill Richardson with the next best being Clinton/Obama and then Obama/Clinton. Hillary will never cease to amaze me and Richardson is an experienced, intelligent and moderate man so they would make a dream team in my opinion.

4 comments:

Poofbegone said...

Hi Isabel,

Glad to meet a fellow Virginian and Democrat! I lived in Fredericksburg (but I am registered in Fairfax, where my dad lives). Most of my family members are McCain supporters so I am the black sheep of the fam. How lucky of your mom to be able to go to a rally! It is a really exciting election for a lot of people. I realize it is not going to change the status quo but for minorities in the US this is a big moment. And it is a big moment for everyone who has been very unhappy with the way things have been run for the past eight years. I think Obama being elected will really help our image abroad as well!

Caroline said...

hey iz,
i was on overnight call last night but still got to see the election announcement in my little on call room. i'm very excited but i also got a little choked up by how incredibly gracious and seemingly sincere mccain's concession speech was. anyway, just thought i'd share. thanks for telling me about your blog-- i'm enjoying it.
love,
c

Sara said...

It was nice to see you guys yesterday. Let's pick a night and have a girl's night. Then we can all talk better!

Shannon. said...

sorry I couldn't make it last night... I wish I would have been able to! I was stuck here watching BBC because it was the only thing we have in English! And it pretty much sucked more than a vacuum!!