Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Primer Matrimonio Chileno

This past Saturday I attended a Chilean wedding for the first time. I.'s cousin got married and the whole family was there. If I could sum the wedding up in 3 words, I'd use the Chilean expression "3B" for bueno, bonito, and barato (good, pretty, and inexpensive). I was VERY impressed by all aspects of the wedding without considering how much it cost, but when they told me how much (little, really) they spent on everything AND that they had to change the location 2 weeks before the wedding, my jaw dropped to the floor and I vowed right there and then to get married in Chile.

First and foremost, the most beautiful aspect of this wedding was that the bride and groom are madly in love with each other. I'm very realistic about the probability of a couple staying together (so I often think they won't), but I'd put a good amount of money on the success of this couple. Sharing their special day with them was a wonderful experience.

Second, the location was AMAZING. It was up in the mountains in (or just outside of?) Lo Cañas. Seriously, why someone doesn't own a little vineyard/hotel/restaurant up there is beyond me since it seems to be geared toward the wealthy. If I could invest in something, it would be Chez Shea, Lo Cañas, Chile. Anyway, this place is comparable to the gorgeous wedding my best friend just had in Virginia which cost much more (as most US weddings do). Now, her wedding was magical and the place where she got married was so beautiful (same goes for how much she and her hubby love each other), but this place at Lo Cañas was magical and beautful, too. There is the most amazing view of the mountains and Santiago at night. It was breathtaking. The house/event place was gorgeous with an ivy-covered walkway and garden around it. The grounds weren't as well maintained as they should have been, but it was still impressive.

Third, the catering company was excellent. Their service was remarkable by anyone's standards and all of the employees were very friendly and accommodating, which is something I've learned not to expect while living in Chile. Whenever you wanted a drink or mini empanada, they were right there helping you. And, they had a perfect number of staff working, not too few which was a big problem at my friend's wedding.

Now, it's not that I expected a mediocre wedding from C and her hubby; it's just that there was no fuss at all about it from anyone. I'm used to American weddings where often the bride, groom and family start planning at least a year in advance and inevitably run into wedding party and/or planning problems. I've seen brides forced into including disliked family members in the wedding party just to make grandma lay off the guilt trip and, fancy wedding planners blatantly lying about how the wedding will be while charging an arm and a leg for their services. With this wedding, there was none of that. Over the past few months you'd hardly know they were even planning one, yet everything turned out beautifully and I doubt they ever broke a sweat over any of it. How refreshing! The most important day of their relationship was stress-free and perfect. I can only hope for so much.

Here are some pictures from Saturday:






7 comments:

Mamacita Chilena said...

Do it!!! seriously, getting married in Chile is the best. Cheap, open bar is usually included in the total price of catering or the venue (not like in the U.S. where open bar can be an additional cost of 10,000 dollars) and there are some really pretty, really underrated places. My entire wedding was planning in a week (well, we were planning somewhere else and that venue fucked us over royally so we had to start over with just a week and half to go) and it all came together just fine.

The place your friends got married is gorgeous and looks uncannily like the place where two friends of our got married last year in Cahon del Maipo.

Sara said...

Nice pics! Here's to getting married in Chile! I had a blast at the one Chilean wedding I attended and keep hoping people I know or sort of know will be getting married soon so I can weasle an invitation. Either that, or I'd have to do it.. But that's sooo another story!

Caroline said...

if you're getting married in chile it can't happen until after i graduate. they don't get any more lenient for family weddings.
don't tell mom about this!

Isabel said...

wait, don't tell mom about what? she already knows i want to get married here and she's ok with it

Caroline said...

oh, really? i'm surprised she's ok with it.

Shannon. said...

I havent yet attended a Chilean wedding! I am getting married in the US though...I know its expensive but I really really want my whole family to be at my wedding and it is WAY to big to bring them all to Chile! We are also having a Chilean wedding the following year because my suegra doesn't think its fair that we have one in the US and not one here.....

Isabel said...

Kyle, I can't believe you guys pulled your wedding together in a week! Maybe that's a standard since I.'s cousin did that as well. I'm really hoping that we get married before you and S. leave to travel the world because i DEFINITELY want you to be the photographer.

Sara, go for it, haha!

Shannon, the "fairness" aspect of an international relationship is one of my biggest problems. I HATE "hurting" people's feelings by living my life.

C, at least, I think she's OK with it considering no one can pay for a U.S. wedding, unless it's at McDonalds