Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What a difference a day makes

Just a quick update on my emotional state, haha. Things are much better today. It still looks like my mom can't come in April, but my wonderful man called me shortly after posting yesterday with his "solution" which was to use the money he has saved to invite my mom to stay with us and cover all of her expenses. She would never go for it because she's thrilled that he and I are saving for graduate school applications, GRE and TOEFL tests as well as an English course for Italo, but it's a very nice gesture that my mom appreciated. I may try to change my ticket in July to April so I can fly home for a month and substitute teach ($110 a day!) and babysit to pay my mom back and maybe save a little bit, too. Either way I think it will work out.

(Maybe?) more importantly, my dog is still being monitored at the vet, but he did really, really well last night in the overnight clinic and the vet thinks he may be able to go home tonight which I think will help him recuperate faster. Another good thing is that the enormous vet bill isn't going to be quite as enormous as my mom thought originally so I think I can pay her back in a relatively short amount of time ($2,600 down from $6,000). And I know, a lot of people think it's absolutely insane to spend so much money on animals, but I don't care. My relationship with my dog is the simplest, most rewarding relationship I have so it's totally worth it. And just look at how adorable/regalon he is:


Thanks so much to those who commented for your kind words. I'd never shared a personal problem like that before and hope I won't have to for a while (but come on, that's life, right?) but it was a really nice outlet for me and I appreciate the comments so THANKS! :)

4 comments:

Mamacita Chilena said...

I don't think that's silly at all. I would spend any amount of money on my dog if she needed it and wouldn't think twice. 6 months ago I might have thought that was silly, but now that I have a puppy, I understand. There's no better companera in the world than my dog, and I'm sure that's how you feel about yours too.

What a difference a day makes. I'm really glad you're feeling better and everything is working out. Substitute teaching sounds like a good job and hopefully a way to make some fast cash.

Good luck with everything and keep us updated on your puppy's progress.

Amanda said...

I don't even have a dog and I understand.

I would do that for any pet of mine. They turn into your babies... really!

Sara said...

I would also spend that amount of money on my cat (I don't have a dog at the moment). If he were sick, I would pay anything so that he was well and comfortable again.

Glad to know that you are doing better!

Flying home to work for a while sounds like a good idea!

Emily said...

I too would spend the money on my dog...puppies are important!

And while going through stuff like this is never good, it sounds like Italo really came through when you needed him (even if you didn't end up taking him up on the offer). What a thoughtful guy. I'm glad to hear you have someone like him around during a tough time.